Sunday, August 14, 2011

Saville's First Show!

I'm quite exhausted as I write this, because the last few days have been very busy! Friday morning I was at the barn at eight to ride. Saville was wonderful, and the new bit I used on him worked wonders in controlling his speed. I spent the morning cleaning tack and loading the horse trailer, and, despite a freak rainstorm, was able to get Saville washed and braided to perfection before turning him out. 

I was up at five on Saturday and set off for the barn at six to get the boys loaded. We arrived at the show grounds at eight and got the horses tacked. Saville was right at home from the moment he left the trailer and was an angel in the warm-up arena. He stayed calm and relaxed throughout. After our warm-up, we walked around the show grounds as my Mom and Lumos competed in their morning classes. When it was around one hour until my classes, I gave us both a once over and went to wait for our turn to show. I tried my hardest not to set any goals other than to have a good ride and have fun and to stay calm.

Our first class was W/T Equitation. Saville and I weren’t completely warmed up in this class, but we still did pretty well, placing sixth out of nine riders. I was delighted. My first ribbon on my own horse!

Our second class was W/T Hunter. Saville was AMAZING. His headset was wonderful, and he was always seeking contact. The best thing was that he was this wonderful, even though it was around 90 degrees and he was already tired. When we lined up I figured we might place second or third. After a minute or two the announcer said
“In first place 109…”
I couldn’t believe it. The little pony who I’d spent the year working with, had, at his first show, won first out of nine horses. I patted his neck and couldn’t help but start laughing and crying and telling him “We did it Saville, we did it! Good boy!”


In our third class, W/T Pleasure, I was so distracted by the fact I had just won my first blue ribbon that I didn’t fully apply myself. Plus, both he and I were slowly getting tired. In this class we placed fourth out of nine.

Our fourth class was Hunter Hack, which is a class where you simply canter once around the ring on the lead of your choice. Saville was great! We decided to go on our right lead, which is our best. At first he picked up the wrong lead, but I quickly changed it and continued cantering. I rode out of the ring grinning, and told my instructor that we weren’t perfect that time, but I didn’t care, because he did his best. A few minutes later I heard the announcer say that we had won second out of the four riders in the class! I was surprised and proud.

Our final class was W/T Equitation Over Ground Poles. There were five people in the class. I’d thrown this class in for fun and in hopes of possible winning reserve or grand champion in the division. Our first line was a little crooked, but our last was perfect. I left the ring with a grin on my face. A few minutes later I heard the announcer say that we had WON! I laughed out loud. Apparently I was the only one who two-pointed over the poles. LOL.

 At the end of the day we finished with two blues, a red, a white and green and big medallion for reserve champion. I was ecstatic.

Saville’s reward was lots of love, pats, treats, and going to hand graze until my Mom and friend had finished their classes. He was a happy pony.

Before we left I was convinced by friends and family to sign up for the whole series in hopes of placing reserve or grand champion at the series finals. So wish me and my pony luck! We’ll be showing once a month throughout the whole fall! <3 



Happy pony and happy rider.



My little brother was my cheerleader yesterday. He was so cute.


Ribbons. Such a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment